The facts are daunting.
SHELTERS ARE OVERWHELMED
Around 5 to 7 million companion animals enter shelters every year. Of these, around 3 million dogs and cats are terminated every year. 8200 are killed each day, 342 each hour, and almost 6 per minute. 50% of all dogs and 70% of all cats entering shelters are killed.
ADOPT! DON’T SHOP!
• There are over 86 million cats and 78 million dogs owned in the U.S., most obtained from friends and family.
• Only 29% of dogs and cats were adopted from shelters and rescues.
• Around 36% were purchased from breeders, puppy mills and pet stores.
• If only 20% of those purchased were adopted from shelters, the number of shelter killings would almost be zero.
SPAY AND NEUTER
• While it is impossible to determine the number of stray dogs and cats, some estimates have the number of feral felines pushing 70 million.
• A fertile cat produces one to two litters a year with four to six kittens per litter.
• A fertile dog produces about one litter a year with four to six puppies per litter.
For more information, please visit:
￼￼￼Reference Resources: ARC, HSUS, ASPCA, NHES, SAWA and Bissell Pet Foundation
PRINT as PDF: FIX IT Fact Sheet